- Botanical Name:
- Vinca minor
- Vinca major
- Common Names:
- Periwinkle lesser periwinkle, myrtle
- See Also:
- - Antibacterial - Carminative - Cephalic - Depurative - Diuretic - Coagulant/Hemostatic - Antispasmodic - Sedative - AntiCancer - emetic
- VINCAMINE,VANILLIC-ACID, URSOLIC-ACID,P-COUMARIC-ACID, BETA-SITOSTEROL, RESERPINE , TANNIN
- The leaves, and seeds of the periwinkle contain vincamine, a precursor to the chemical vinpocetine, which is used as a medicinally to enhance memory naturally while the mind ages.
- Side Effects:
- Using periwinkle in the whole herb form does not pose a danger of interaction with blood thinners, however taking isolated extracts of vincamine and the chemical drug vinpocetine can pose risks and are not suited to unsupervised long term use. 1
- Periwinkle Preparation
- Parts Used: leaves and seeds - Teas, tinctures, supplements
"Kitchen Medicine"Introducing our brand new Ebook! Read the free sample on your Kindle, smartphone, or computer. Learn how to get a good nights sleep, cure a cold, lower your blood sugar, lose weight, and supercharge your energy and vitality - and do it without harmful and expensive prescription drugs.
- Plant Description
- Vinca minor
- The flowers of the garden periwinkle are the inspiration of the lavender blue color name periwinkle, and this viny shrub is a popular and attractive ground cover with numerous cultivars,flower colours and variegated foliage.
- Related Species:
- Vinca rosea Syn. Catharanthus roseus Madagascar Periwinkle is an endangered species native to madagascar that was used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat numerous diseases, including diabetes,
- Folklore and History
- Periwinkle has been used in the tradition medicine of many cultures and peoples worldwide including Europe, China, India and the Pacific and Caribbean Islands.
- Venus owns this herb, and saith, That the leaves eaten by man and wife together, cause love between them. The Periwinkle is a great binder, stays bleeding both at mouth and nose, if some of the leaves be chewed. The French used it to stay women's courses. Dioscorides, Galen, and Ægineta, commend it against the lasks and fluxes of the belly to be drank in wine.
- In the Caribbean, practitioners of voodoo magic sew Periwinkle leaves into the mattress to keep husband and wife forever in love, and the home peaceful. They are sometimes mixed with magnolia leaves, which also have a reputation of promoting faithfulness in love. The blue flowers of periwinkle are symbolic of spiritual peace and harmony. 3
- Periwinkle Profile
- "Evidence of Benefits from Herbal Preparations for Improving Cognition and Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia in the Elderly ". (04-30-2012).
American Botanical Council
Lesser periwinkle (Vinca minor) aerial plant and its synthetic alkaloid vinpocetine have been shown to improve blood flow to the brain. Vinpocetine may be able to enhance cognition in patients with dementia, and enhanced memory and learning in patients with vascular dementia..
- Catherine Yronwode Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure, and Traditional Formulary (2002).
Desktop Website | Home | Herb Chart |
Copyright © 2008 - 2013 Annie's Remedy * All rights reserved - FDA Disclaimer